Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Eight is enough...


Hey All.

Pictured above are some of the best sculpted figures from the EW British. Too bad they are all doing the same thing (ok the grenade thrower is not doing like everyone else but the pose is all wrong for tossing a grenade and he looks the same as the others). Believe it or not, these are all unique poses, some with only an adjusted leg or turned head.

I am a bit surprised I didn't get any hate mail from the previous post about the Battlefront stuff. I must admit, I wrote it in anger (and disappointment) but it needs to be said. BF has made and continues to make great figures (really love the details on their LW Russian and UK Infantry) but these EW figures are so bad that they seem like they are made by another company. I have been waiting sooooo long for early-war Brits and even went as far as buying up an overpriced OOP blister of the old sculpt on eBay. They are miles better than the new ones but still not that great.

Speaking of the old sculpts...


Above is a new sculpt with (left) with an old one (right). There are a quite a few of the new sculpt that dwarf the older figures. They are simply too huge to mix. Welcome to the spares box...

Pictured left is a little caddy I made up yesterday to hold all my Vallejo paints after finally having had enough of the searching for that damn hull red in all those browns! I found that at a 30 degree angle, the colors are much easier to find than in the foam tray they come in. As well, there was no way I could keep these bottles organized as they invariably ended up scattered all over the painting table.  

To make it, I took a 3/4" 12x30" piece of plywood and cut one edge at 30 degrees. I then cut 3 kerfs at 3.5" intervals and glued in 1/4 plywood strips that were 1 3/8" wide. I added edges and back supports and volia! Organization baby!

I am currently in the process of doing a paint swatch sheet up for reference and it was while doing that that I discovered how close that Yellow Green 881 and Dark Yellow 978 fit the bill for Russian Khaki uniform color. I had previously been using Khaki Grey but that was a bit too brown. Stay tuned...

Troy

No comments: